Monday, May 23, 2011

Drawing Pictures in the Park with Mark

So then, I decided to hop on a train to San Juan Capistrano . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

It's about an hour-ish from Los Angeles, and the last time I was there, I had a spectacular literary encounter with my childhood idol, Mary Calhoun.

I was wandering about the park, when LOOK! I came across these lovely books basking in the cacti . . .

Photobucket

I was about to grab them, when this fellow, author/illustrator, Mark Crilley, ran past . . .

Photobucket

Of course, I gave chase, but he was (almost) as fast a runner as Marley Sandelski, the Star Trek geek in WARP SPEED who gets beat up everyday. Speaking of which, here's a Lovely Review of the book from GuysLitWire. (It includes me speaking Klingon.)

Anyway, Mark scrambled up a tree to elude me . . .

Photobucket

But that was okay, because the cacti still had two books left . . .

Photobucket

What a surprise! They were BRODY'S GHOST, a new graphic novel series created by . . . you guessed it, Mark Crilley!

Now then. Here's a Jeopardy!-worthy question for you. What does this man have in common with Mark and Me?

Photobucket

Here's a hint(s) . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Nope. He's the identical twin of these two. However both of the men, above, have had characters named after them in my books! (That's Mr. Kinnoin and Mr. Glick.)

Which means . . . the thing in common, that Mark and I didn't know when we first met in cyberspace, this is not a run-on sentence, was that we both named a character after Dr. Gary Seto in books that we had written!!!

He's in a book in Mark's AKIKO series and in SO TOTALLY EMILY EBERS .

Is that totally Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, or what?

Photobucket

Here's Mark signing a book for my doctor . . .

Photobucket

Why, look! It's a totally professional video I shot using my new iPhone . . .



I noticed that Mark was doing that show-offy thing that artists do. You know. Draw. So when I signed WARP SPEED for Mark, I thought I would intimidate him and draw, too . . .

Photobucket

If you like to draw, CLICK HERE for Mark's YouTube Channel and you can learn to draw as well as me! Or maybe better.

Photobucket

Hey! Are you in New York? Are you going to BEA? If so, come see me!!!

I'll be at the American Girl booth signing KANANI books on Wednesday from 1 - 2 pm, and on Thursday from 11 - noon!!!

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Follow Lisa on Twitter by CLICKING HERE.

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter