Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Scary Bug and Spectacular Conference

Having a healthy imagination, I will often throw myself into a tizzy regarding the latest scary thing out there. In the past this has included spinach carrying the e coli bacteria, lack of fiber in my diet, and the economy.

My latest tizzy? This . . .

Photobucket
(Bugs in photo are larger than in real life.)

Yes, bedbugs.

I travel A LOT, and just know that the little buggers are laying in wait to attack me, then to hitch a ride home with me to infest my house and loved ones.

Before I left for Arlington, VA, I checked out the Bedbug Registry. Noooo, it's not where bedbugs say what wedding gifts they want -- it's a place where you can find out where they hang out . . .
Photobucket

Hooray! My hotel was not on the list. But to make sure, I did my own checking, and gave it an "all clear" . . .

Photobucket
(Above: Photo of no bedbugs.)

Phew! That meant I could enjoy my time at the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) Mid-Altantic Conference without itching. (Bedbugs bite.) And enjoy, I did!

We received such a warm welcome . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
(Peepy was so excited to receive her own very special name tag, that she has renamed the SCBWI to "SCBWIP" - Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and Peep.)

It was fun seeing old friends (as in "I've known you before," not as in "Man, you have aged!") and new. Here are agents Sarah Davies and Jill Corcoran, with author Sarah Lewis Holmes waving her hands, trying to get Peepy's attention . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

It was great to hear former lawyer and current National Book Award Finalist Kathryn Erskine speak. Later, she and Peepy bonded over their matching accessories . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

I had my own conniption because, remember my love for my Book Book? That is, my laptop cover that looks like a book . . .
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Well . . . someone else at the conference had a Book Book, too!!!!

Photobucket

Yes! Super editor, Andrea Tompa from Candlewick Press had the exquisite good taste to own one.

Only, then I thought, hmmmmm . . . what if our Book Books got switcheroo-ed? Then what? Would Andrea really want a MacBook full of photos of my dog? (Well, probably, yes since Puppy is so cute.)

Photobucket

Still, I felt I needed to come up with a genius solution to the possible switcheroo situation. Here's what I did . . .

Photobucket

I put my name on my Book Book! (At first I was going to write it on the front, then DUH . . . it should go on the spine!)

Oops, back to the convention. Soon it was time to critique manuscripts. That's where you sit down one-on-one and discuss writer's WIP (work-in-progress) . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

After, it was time for the faculty and fabulous volunteers to be fed in high style . . .
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Fortified with delicious food and equally delicious lunch conversation, it was time to deliver our keynote address to these talented, witty and smart writers and illustrators . . .
Photobucket Photobucket
(I was so "moved" by everyone's beauty, that I "moved" the camera on purpose, hence the blurred photos. Get it? Moved? Moved? Hahahaha . . . what? No? Um. Okay. Nevermind.)

The conference ended with a panel of editors giving away trade secrets. Here's Andrea with Scholastic editor Jenne Abramowitz and from Houghton Mifflin, Erica Zappy . . .
Photobucket

And now, to atone for the bedbug photo, here's something small, but entirely cute . . .

MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON from Dean Fleischer-Camp on Vimeo.



Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want some fun? CLICK HERE to visit the Lisa Yee and Son YouTube Channel.

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter