Sunday, October 17, 2010

In Praise of Public Radio

I listen to NPR all the time. Here's my KPCC member card . . .

Photobucket

I love listening to shows like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, produced by author pal Emily Ecton . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Here's when Peepy and I went to the taping of one of the shows . . .


(We got their tres early.)

I've been on NPR, too! CLICK HERE to listen to me babble on KQED.

Photobucket
(Oops. This is what happens to me when I babble too much.)

Wait, wait, don't tell me . . . back to NPR. One time, uber librarian/action figure Nancy Pearl talked about the best opening lines in kids' books. She even mentioned Millicent Min, Girl Genius . . .

Photobucket

"I have been accused of being anal retentive, an over achiever and a compulsive perfectionist, like those are bad things."

Here's Nancy ridding the world of bad guys . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

You can CLICK HERE to hear Nancy talk Millicent. And to read an excerpt from MILLICENT MIN on NPR's website, CLICK HERE.

So anyway, I was thrilled when last week I got to hear NPR-ian Ira Glass in person . . .

Photobucket

He talked about how the shows are produced for This American Life.

Photobucket Photobucket

Peepy complained that she wasn't going to be able to see him . . .

Photobucket

However, that's okay. Ira opened the show with the lights out and we pretended we were listening to him on the radio!

Photobucket

Here's Ira on Letterman talking about chicken(s) . . .



So last night, Son was having trouble falling asleep. Being the loving and helpful mom that I am, I suggested he listen to some This American Life. I had downloaded it from last week, when the topic was sleep . . .

Photobucket

An hour later, a TOTALLY wide awake Son comes into my office and says, "Did you they talked about THE SHINING???"

Photobucket Photobucket

Oops. I had listened to it, but was thinking about the segment when a fellow thinks he's the Hulk when he falls asleep. Not the segment where a kid watches THE SHINING and it ruins his childhood.

So sorry, Son. My bad. I'm not sure what's worse. What I did to Son this week . . . or a couple of years ago.

But I meant well. Honest!

Hey, speaking of kids, I'll be speaking to several classes on Tuesday, thanks to Children's Book World in Los Angeles.

Originally, I was going to speak at the store, but there were so many requests, we've been moved to an nearby school auditorium. However, after (around 11:45ish?) I'll be signing stock at the store, if you want to drop by!

Next Blog: Find out who Peepy's been hanging out with . . .

Photobucket

And finally, via Fuse #8's blog . . .



Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want some fun? CLICK HERE to visit the Lisa Yee and Son YouTube Channel.

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter