Sunday, October 24, 2010

Facing the Fourth Graders

The last time I visited Children's Book World, I had a Newbery winner, the editor of the Harry Potter series, and maggots in my car . . .


(Note: This is a pretend maggot that hangs in my office. If you are brave, or a 12-year old boy, CLICK HERE to see what real maggots look like.)

I happy to announce that my latest visit was maggot-free! Children's Book World had arranged for me to visit with some local schools. So I left my house TWO HOURS early, thinking it wouldn't take that long to drive 16 miles. I even brought the newspaper and some work, since I knew I'd have plenty of time . . .

Photobucket

Like Millie in MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS, I'd rather be "one hour early, than one minute late."

However, I hadn't counted on terrible, awful, horrendous, yucky, crummy, rotten traffic . . .

Photobucket

In one hour, I had gone four miles. So I got off the freeway, sped along side streets, and made it with zero time to spare. Here's one of the classes that was waiting for me . . .

Photobucket

And here's everyone reacting when I asked, "Who can solve our nation's financial crisis?"

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
(Actually, I didn't ask that question. However, these kids are so smart, I'll bet they could have solved it!)

We had soooooo much fun taking about how BOBBY THE BRAVE (SOMETIMES) and other books got written! Afterward, I went to Children's Book World . . .

Photobucket

The kids bought books ahead of time, I signed, and the books were delivered to their schools that very afternoon!

Photobucket Photobucket

Later, some students even came to the store so we could talk about . . . BOOKS!!!

Photobucket

Speaking of books, here's the spectacular Sharon Hearn, the store's owner . . .
Photobucket

And here's her spectacular store . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Ah, don't you just love indie bookstores!!!!

Since we were talking books, here's more BOBBY news. Recently, Scholastic kid reporter, Alexis "Lexie" Cornell interviewed me.

Photobucket

You can read the interview HERE!. And CLICK HERE for her review of BOBBY, plus here's another fun review about the book!

There's more BOBBY THE BRAVE (SOMETIMES) . . . I recently had a Goodreads free book giveaway. There were over ten million or maybe 587 entries, and here's the winner who was selected at random . . .

Photobucket

I was thrilled to learn it's someone I know! Paloma was in a writer's workshop I taught at the Santa Monica Library!




Can you find Paloma in the photo below?


Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want some fun? CLICK HERE to visit the Lisa Yee and Son YouTube Channel.

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter