Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Highlights, Plus My Best Xmas Present

Some said the world was supposed to end on 12/21/12. I am so glad it didn't, because there's still lots I want to do. That said, I did manage to pack a whole lot into 2012. Let's go backward and take a look at some of the highlights. (Note: The stuff that's highlighted in a link goes to the blog about whatever I am blathering about.)

DECEMBER

Traveled to Edinburgh to visit Daughter who was going to school at the University. She's studying to be a children's book editor (!!!) and got me a signed copy of this for Christmas . . .

Photobucket

Yes! My very own autographed-by-J.K.-Rowling-copy of THE CASUAL VACANCY. Next week, I'll be blogging about how Daughter managed to get the book. But in the meantime, here's a photo of Peepy in front of her new house, formerly known as Edinburgh Castle . . .

Photobucket

Oh, but speaking of castles and that sort of stuff, in December, we also got to meet Downton Abbey's Lord Grantham . . .

Photobucket

NOVEMBER

Amish country and a conference in Pennsylvania were on the calendar for November. We had a lovely room with a view and also got to work on SEVEN DAYS DOWN, my next young adult novel for Arthur A. Levine Books/Scholastic . . .

Photobucket Photobucket
(These red marks are notes to myself.)

OCTOBER

October was a busy, busy, busy month. We were at The Brooklyn Book Festival and The South Dakota Festival of Books, school visits in Texas, and more.

Behold, Jon Sciezka doing a guy thing as I moderated the Guys Read panel. Joseph Bruchac and Gordon Korman look on . . .

Photobucket

It was all very fun, but the jet lag got to me a bit. Here I am with fellow jet laggee (is that a word?) Sherman Alexie . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

SEPTEMBER

As the space shuttle Endeavor made its way to Los Angeles aboard a modified 747, I was one of 40 people selected to cover the event for NASA. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime event as seen HERE and HERE and HERE . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Here's the video of the take off. We were 500 feet away . . .



AUGUST

Anyone up for a flash mob of kid lit folk? We were! August is always a great time because of the SCBWI Summer conference!

Photobucket

JULY

Ah, Comic Con. Yes, it's every bit as crazy as you've heard it is. Since we wrote a book called WARP SPEED, about a Star Trek geek who gets beat up, we were on a panel . . .

Photobucket

July was also the American Library Association Conference. We saw Newbery winner Jack Gantos. However, he misbehaved. Badly.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

JUNE

Did someone say "radio"? Yes! That was me on Jarrett Krosoczka's show Sirrus Show THE JJK REPORT . . .

Photobucket


Here's a video of the radio . . .



MAY

We visited Kent State in May, plus were at the Los Angles Times Festival of Books, where we ran into old friend (as in we've known him for a while) John Green. Plus, we watched Lauren Myracle get arrested . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

APRIL

Northampton, MA is like a children's book author/illustrator mecca. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks there and got to hang out with my dear friend, Jeannie Birdsall. We were on the radio together!

Photobucket Photobucket

Peepy and I also had lunch with Mo Willems and Tony DiTerlizza . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

We also got to visit Tony DiTerlizzi's lair and were so taken with it, and him, that we bought him this most awesome sweater . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

MARCH

We learned the secrets of Scrivener from the creator of the program, plus found out that Austin, TX has great BBQ . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Visiting Vancouver was a blast. It was fun seeing Allen Say, again . . .

Photobucket

FEBRUARY

Jeremy Lin, the Chinese American basketball player, took the NBA by storm. Even people who didn't know what a basketball was, knew about Jeremy Lin. I wrote about him on this blog, and it was picked up by USA TODAY. Here's my dad, a three time varsity player in high school . . .

27f33b86

Speaking of Chinese American's, here's Ivy Ling. I wrote about for American Girl. Ivy had a cameo on the Simpsons . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

And finally, JANUARY. As we have in the past, Peepy and I went to the Rose Parade, I (finally) updated my website, I tamed my internet addiction, and WARP SPEED got named to lots of lists!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

NEXT BLOG: Exploring Edinburgh

Photobucket

===========================

Oh, look! These books make lovely gifts for you or someone you know, or someone you may know sometime. If you'd like an autographed book, order from Vroman's. Be sure to tell them that you'd like me to sign them, and include the name(s) of who the books should be made out to. Then they will mail it/them to you!"

Photobucket

Shop Indie Bookstores

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want to check out Lisa's NEW AND IMPROVED website? Simply CLICK HERE.

Interested in having Lisa speak at your school, library or conference? CLICK HERE for more information.

Lisa Yee
Follow LisaYee1 on Twitter



Google Groups

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter