Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dear Bully

I am in an undisclosed location right now. (Hint: Sailing on the American Girl 25th Anniversary Cruise to the Carribbean.) However, through the magic of my Time Machine, here's an event that I took part in not long ago . . .

I was invited to contribute to DEAR BULLY: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories.

Photobucket

At first I thought that I didn't have anything to add to the dialogue. After all, I hadn't been bullied when I was growing up. Plus, I wasn't a bully, myself. Then I realized, perhaps I was worse. Why? Because when others were teased and bullied, I did nothing to stop it.

Here's what the NEW YORK TIMES had to say about the book . . .

Photobucket

My essay is called REGRET. Here's a snippet of it . . .

"Putting someone down was a sport. Like dodgeball, it could be fun or scary, depending on where you stood. However, instead of balls being hurled at you, it was insults. I if you were lucky, eventually the teasing would move on to someone else and you could exhale."

Recently, I joined other DEAR BULLY authors at a reading at Vroman's in Pasadena . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Joining me were Melody Shore, Amy Goldman Koss, Cecil Castellucci, and Nancy Holder . . .

Photobucket

Whoops! Where's Melody? Oh, there she is!

Photobucket

We had a full house . . .

Photobucket

And each read our essay . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Novelist Elizabeth Massie made these bracelets for us. The yellow bead represents a person in need of protection and support, and the other beads those who rally around them . . .

Photobucket

On the topic of bullying, my novel WARP SPEED is about a Star Trek geek who's beat up every day at school.

Photobucket

I don't write "issue books," I write about kids. However, they do have issues in their lives, and when I write their stories, I hope that my readers can identify with my characters.

Not long ago I received a three-page handwritten letter in the mail . . .

Photobucket

It was from a U.S. Marine based overseas . . .

Photobucket

He continued, "Growing up, I was never the popular kid. In fact I was bullied, not so much physically, but verbally quite horribly, which made my life a living nightmare. Middle school and early high school was tough for me and I hated having to go to school--"

Through running, this soldier gain self-esteem and was able to face his bullies. Today, when he returns to the states, he speaks at anit-bullying events at his old high school.

Photobucket Photobucket

It gets better. If you don't believe me, here are lots of other authors who feel the same way.



Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Photobucket CLICK HERE to find out about Lisa's newest book, WARP SPEED!!!

Interested in having Lisa speak at your school, library or conference? CLICK HERE for more information.

Lisa Yee
Follow LisaYee1 on Twitter









Google Groups

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com




Site Meter



emilyebers" alt="Site Meter" border="0" />