Friday, April 15, 2011

Glory, Glory, Edward Gorey + Art Center + Geek Life

I know I was just in Kauai, and then at home writing about Beverly Cleary for the Huffington Post.

Photobucket Photobucket

But now I'm back in Boston. Sort of.

Huh? Well, again, via the magic of my Time Machine, I am able to take you back to the glorious afternoon I spent in Bean Town. After the shenanigans at The Blue Bunny, Peeps and I spent the afternoon visiting places like Trinity Church . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The Boston Public Library had critters nearby . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Peepy tried to ice skate . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

She didn't do too well, but was consoled by a cupcake . . .

Photobucket

However, the highlight of the day was a visit to the Boston Athenauem to visit the Edward Gorey Exhibit!!!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

We weren't allowed to take photos of the exhibit, however, librarian Suzanne Terry gave us a private tour of the Children's Library! She also introduced us to a lovely Madeline doll who travels the world, like Peepy!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

As many of you know, I have the second largest collection of Winnie-the-Poohs in America . . .

Photobucket

They reside in the Pooh Museum in White River, Canada. Well, here are some Poohs that I don't have (yet). They live in the Boston Athenaeum Children's Library with Madeline . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Ah, what a lovely afternoon. A children's library AND Edward Gorey? B is for Bliss.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Speaking of drawings, I recently heard from an Art Center grad student. He invited me to his thesis presentation. Now, I often get, er, interesting requests, like the time someone wanted a pair of my shoes, and normally, I decline, since one never knows what's to become of things.

Photobucket

However, when Zen Wang explained that he found me while waiting in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles, I thought it was fate that I should attend, and I'm glad I did.

Photobucket
(Zen was looking for an Asian American author and he picked up a newspaper that mentioned my appearance here.)

Here's Zen and the Dancing with the Stars judges. (Or maybe they were his teachers? Hard to tell since they had such great moves.)

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

And, look! Here's the charming book he created as part of his project . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

To see Zen's conceptual work, CLICK HERE.

And finally, you gotta check out Bob Boyle's GEEK LIFE . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Bob (Emmy Award winning creator of Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! and author/illustrator of Hugo and the Really, Really, Really Long String and Celebrity Judge) referenced an author who has problems with internet addiction. I won't tell you who it is, but here's a hint: It's one of these two . . .

Photobucket

CLICK HERE to see the comic, and who the author is.

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

CLICK HERE to win a FREE copy of WARP SPEED!!!

Live in or near Los Angeles, or want to visit? Then come to the Los Angeles Time Festival of Books! I'll be there (along with tons of other authors) on April 30 and May 1st!!!!


Here's a lineup of who will be on the Target Stage. (I'll be there Saturday at 4 pm, then signing with Scholastic at noon on Sunday!)

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter