Wednesday, February 02, 2011

"Dear Mrs. Lee . . .

Oh man. I love mail, don't you? (That last statement doesn't include junk mail or bills.)

Photobucket

When I first became an author seven years ago, I started to get fan mail. I remember my daughter saying, "You get fan mail? YOU?"

Over the years I've saved some of my favorites. Some are funny. Some are heartwarming. Some are heartbreaking.

I hear from boys and girls, teens and parents. Sometimes an entire class writes to me . . .

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Other times, it's individual letters, where the writer opens their heart . . .

Photobucket

I hear from fans who have become friends . . .

Photobucket
(Hi Anji, Violet and Ferris!)

And when readers send me photos of their goats and pigs, it makes me happy . . .

Photobucket

Author and illustrators often send each other greetings, like these from Jarrett Krosoczka and Mo Willems . . .

Photobucket

Some letters I will treasure always, like the ones from Mary Calhoun, who was one of my favorite authors when I was growing up. We met because of an article I wrote, and an email she sent . . .

Photobucket

Other letters are confounding, like these that are EXACTLY the same from three students from the same school who clearly wrote to me as part of an assignment . . .

Photobucket

However, most often, I get emails. Here are some fun ones I thought you'd get a kick out of. I know I did!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(For the record, Peepy is real and not food.)

Photobucket

I posted a couple of my fan letters on my facebook wall and got such great responses that my author friend, Sarah Darer Littman and I have decided to create a website called "Dear Author." It will feature letters and tweets that some of your favorite authors have received!

Photobucket
We're still in the working stages, but I'll be sure to let you know when the site goes live!!!

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

In February, look for me at the American Girl stores in these cities . . .

Photobucket

LOOK FOR WARP SPEED in MARCH!!!

Photobucket

Want some fun? CLICK HERE to visit the Lisa Yee and Son YouTube Channel.

Lisa Yee









Google Groups

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter