Monday, October 15, 2012

Jet Lagging with Sherman Alexie, Men in Plaid, and the South Dakota Festival of Books

After panelling and chatting and chewing in Brooklyn . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

. . . it was time to head to the South Dakota Festival of Books. I was set for another boring plane ride, when look who I bumped into in Minneapolis -- we were going to the same place!

Photobucket

Yes! That's Sherman Alexie. When we last saw Sherman he was doing this . . .

Photobucket

We were both jet lagged, but I don't think it was too noticeable . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

Even though he was tired, I woke Sherman up and asked him to sign something for Son's teacher and others. I also asked him to sign a check for me, but he refused.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

The South Dakota Festival of Books takes place in various parts of the state. We were in Brookings to speak to the 4th graders at Camelot Intermediate School. Look how big they are!

Photobucket Photobucket
Oh, wait. That's not a student, that's the principal, Dave Fiedler. (So cool when you have a fun principal!)

Here's a before and after of speaking to the 4th graders . . .

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Later, Dave gave me a tour of his wonderful school. I'd never seen sinks OUTSIDE of the restrooms, but was told that it speeds things up, thwarts goofing around, and you can see who washes their hands. Makes sense to me!

Photobucket Photobucket

As I was touring the campus, I found myself in a math problem!!!

Photobucket

That evening it was off to hear Sherman kick-off the festival. He spoke IN AN ARENA . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Here's Sherman with Pam Merchant and me backstage. Pam was kind enough to drive me all over South Dakota because I get lost easily. For that reason alone, vote for Pam!

Photobucket

The next day it was off to Sioux Falls, which is a different place than Sioux City, not that anyone I know would confuse the two. Ah hem.

Photobucket
(Above is the goodie bag that greeted me in Sioux Falls.)

You've heard of Men in Black, right?

Photobucket

Well, I got to have dinner with their literary dopplegangers -- Men in Plaid. It was wonderful seeing Newbery/National Book Award-ish Gary Schmidt (on right) again! The last time we saw him he was with BatPeep. And who's that other plaid clad fellow? Why, it's none other than Rolling Stone critic/NPR commentator/author Will Hermes . . .

Photobucket

After eating at an Italian restaurant with schnitzel on the menu, we headed to the authors' reception to be recepted . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

We were so fascinating that we made the news . . .

Photobucket

Twice . . .

Photobucket

NEXT BLOG: Peepy (and Lisa) on South Dakota Public radio, sparring with Roy Blount Jr. and more from South Dakota. Plus, Will Hermes gets the interview of his career.

Oh wait! One more thing. What's that? Why it's a handwritten letter I wrote for The Rumpus - Letters For Kids.

Photobucket

Yes, your kid(s), or you(s), can get two actual letters in an old-fashioned thing called "the mailbox" each month from actual KidLit authors. CLICK HERE to find out more.

And finally, speaking of writing, I had a caption contest over on my facebook wall. Here's the photo of Eight-Books-Out-This-Year-Alone Dan Santat and NY TIMES #1 Besteller Loren Long . . .

Photobucket

(I'll post the winning caption, along with the fabulous prize, on the next blog.)

===========================

Want to check out Lisa's NEW AND IMPROVED website? Simply CLICK HERE.

Interested in having Lisa speak at your school, library or conference? CLICK HERE for more information.

Lisa Yee
Follow LisaYee1 on Twitter



Google Groups

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter