Monday, June 11, 2012

Me, Truman Capote, And Proud of It: Celebrating LBGT Month

Recently, I was invited to read at Skylight Books . . .

Photobucket

Photobucket

We got there early, so we ventured down the street so Peepy could get a snack . . .

Photobucket

Then we explored Skylight . . . both parts. That's right, TWO buildings, cause its awesomeness could not be confined to one. Here's the side with lots of graphic novels, art books, etc . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's the other side, with fiction, kids books, non-fiction, etc., where the readings took place . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Soon it was time to begin. The event, AND PROUD OF IT: Gay and Lesbian Writers Who Inspired Us, was In celebration of LGBT Heritage Month.

Award-winning author Noel Alumit hosted the evening . . .

Photobucket

The authors, straight and gay, included . . .

Photobucket

Here's Noel, Raquel Gutierez, Stephen Reigns, Hope Edelman, Frederick Smith, Leslie Schwartz, and Imani Tolliver.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
(Um. I was smitten by the microphone. That's why it appears in front of everyone's face in the photos.)

When it was my turn, I read from Truman Capote.

Photobucket

It discombobulates me to think that the same person who wrote BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S also created a new genre when he wrote the groundbreaking IN COLD BLOOD which first appeared in THE NEW YORKER magazine.

Photobucket Photobucket

Oh, hey! If you love the movie BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (which is wonderful, except for the racist part with Mickey Rooney playing an Asian), then you've got to read FIFTH AVENUE, 5 A.M. -- Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, And The Dawn Of The Modern Woman by Sam Wasson . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

As for IN COLD BLOOD, I even managed to include a reference to the book in my first novel for kids, MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS . . .

Photobucket

Now, let's return to Skylight. That night, I chose to read from A CHRISTMAS MEMORY.

Photobucket

When I was a kid I loved the story. I still do. But back then, I didn't even know who Capote was, or if he was old or young, gay or straight, tall or short -- I just knew that his story was beautiful and it made me cry. I was soooooo worried I would start weeping in Skylight when I read.

Photobucket

And so I started. Here's the attractive and witty crowd . . .

Photobucket Photobucket

As I read, I saw people nodding (as in agreement, not as in "nodding off"), for it seems that many were familiar with this classic. I was so proud of myself! I didn't cry, although I did wobble a bit at the end. Phew -- made it through the evening without tears!!!

Then before the last author went up, Noel told us about him. To help Celebrate LGBT Heritage Month, there was a Youth Creative Writing/Video Contest for students in grades 6 -12. We were lucky to have one of the winners as our last speaker!

Photobucket

Vista School 11th grader, Jesus "Jesse" Navarro, read his amazing work,"Our Heritage." His poem was beautiful and it made me cry.

===========================

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want to check out Lisa's NEW AND IMPROVED website? Simply CLICK HERE.

Interested in having Lisa speak at your school, library or conference? CLICK HERE for more information.

Lisa Yee
Follow LisaYee1 on Twitter



Google Groups

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter