Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shave-Ice-A-Thon + Look Who's Doing the Hula!

Wait! Weren't we just with Neil Gaiman in San Diego . . .

Photobucket

Yes, we were. But now we're back in Hawaii . . .

Photobucket

Okay then, here's more insider scoop on American Girl's "Girl of the Year" and how the KANANI books were written.

Photobucket

Kanani's family owns Akina's Shave Ice and Sweet Treats on the gorgeous island of Kaua'i.

Photobucket

In an ongoing effort to get everything exactly right for the American Girl books, I felt it beneficial, necessary even, to research shave ice. What did that encompass?

Eating, er, testing, shave ice in Oahu and Kaua'i up to six times a day!

Here's my American Girl editor, Jennifer Hirsch, taking one for the team . . .

Photobucket

And here are some of my shave ice experiences (I also had to stop at every bakery and candy store -- for research) . . .

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Now, I don't want you to think that my week in Hawaii was all shave ice and sweets. No, there was more work to be done. In ALOHA, KANANI, Kanani takes her cousin Rachel, who's from New York, to a luau. So, of course, I had to go to one. For research.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

In the stories, elderly Tutu Lani is an expert at making leis. I was not. But I tried!

Photobucket Photobucket

Also, in one of the books, Kanani joins the hula dancers on stage at the luau . . .

Photobucket

So, when the dancers came out during the luau I was attending, my editor said, "Lisa, you need to go up there and learn to hula."

I laughed. Jennifer was so funny! Dancing in public? Me? Hahahahaha . . . what?

Jennifer said again, "Go up there, you have to do this since you're writing about it."

Can you find me? I'm on the stage.

Photobucket

If you can't see me in the photo, you can see me here . . .

Photobucket

Next Blog: Guess who was on the news????

Photobucket

Disclaimer: No proofreaders were harmed (or even used) in the creation of this blog.

Want to win a free copy of WARP SPEED, Lisa's new book that will debut in March? If so CLICK HERE.

Photobucket

Want some fun? CLICK HERE to visit the Lisa Yee and Son YouTube Channel.

Lisa Yee









height=26 width=132 alt="Google Groups">

Subscribe to Lisa Yee's Blog and get her fresh baked blogs e-mailed to you!

Email:


Or you can click this for a RSS feed...http://www.wikio.com



Site Meter